Heartland is the first story-based content update for State of Decay 2. It returns to Trumbull Valley, the iconic location presented in the original State of Decay game, revisiting familiar people and places to see how they’ve been changed by the ongoing apocalypse. It is available to all Game Pass subscribers, and can be purchased from the Microsoft Store.
In addition to Heartland, we have also made a following free upgrades to the core State of Decay 2 experience:
- We've expanded the range of actions you can perform in your inventory in different contexts:
- While in a vehicle, you can now drop items and break open rucksacks.
- While looting a container, you can now unequip your weapon or a weapon mod.
- While the supply locker is open, you can now repair or salvage items in your personal inventory.
- While the trade interface is open, you can now unequip items.
- While the vehicle inventory is open, you can now unload weapons and break open rucksacks.
- The "Take 1" action in the Inventory interface can now be used to take the final item in a stack.
- You now hear an error sound when attempting to use an unusable item via the Inventory screen.
- Curing a survivor's blood plague is now more user-friendly.
- You can now treat survivors who are merely fighting an infection, before they develop full-blown blood plague.
- When you talk to an infected survivor, you have a new "View Treatment Options" action that reveals how long they have left to live.
- After you select that action, the usual "Exile/Euthanize/Administer" options appear, and work as before.
- If you have cure in your inventory, you'll use it to cure them. If you don't, you'll see an option to use cure from their inventory.
- If you decide not to act on their infection, you can back out to the original set of dialogue actions (like "Enlist Follower" and "Switch to this Character").
- A handful of rare crashes, arcane mission blockers, and minor typos are no longer a problem.
- Stabilizing Foam now costs zero meds to use, but you do still need to be at home to use it.
- Hostile icons no longer come randomly unglued from characters' heads.
- Water disturbance effects no longer continue after zombies are killed.
- Bloater Gas in a car is no longer lethal to zombies outside the car.
- Knowing how to fish no longer makes you sad.